Senior Manager - Internal Audit, Irish Life Group Services Limited
Permanent role - Irish Life Group Internal Audit
Irish Life is one of Ireland’s largest financial institutions with a presence across a range of financial services markets. We are one of Ireland’s leading financial services groups with over 1 million customers. For over 75 years, we’ve been helping people to look after their life insurance, pension and investment needs, and more recently their health insurance.
It is a subsidiary of Great-West Lifeco and a member of the Power Financial Corporation group of companies.
We are proud of our culture of developing and supporting the growth and professional development of our people. The focus has resulted in a team of top talent with high standards, positioning us at the forefront of our industry.
Why Irish Life Internal Audit?
At Irish Life Internal Audit, we know its our people that set us apart. That is why we are passionate about fostering an environment where our people can grow to their fullest. By joining Irish Life Internal Audit, you will have the opportunity to work in global audit team that pushes boundaries, values collaboration, embraces change and innovation and delivers quality work through high performing people.
Irish Life Internal Audit is part of the the global Great-West LifeCo Internal Audit team of circa 170 people across Canada, UK, US and Ireland. As well as having direct responsibility for audit activity of Irish and German Operations, Irish Life Internal Audit also participate in and lead global audit initiatives and benchmarking reviews.
As part of companies’ third line of defence, a key part of our job is to provide assurance that the organisation is progressing on the course of action charted by management and the board. We also work to alert management and the board to risks which may prevent the organisation from achieving its objectives.
Reporting to Internal Audit Senior Leadership, and working in conjunction the Chief Internal Auditor for Ireland & Germany and the global audit leadership team, the Senior Internal Audit Manager is responsible for conducting and overseeing the effective execution of audits consistent with Internal Audit standards and ensure they are delivered within defined timescales. The role holder will work in conjunction with Executive Management and the Chief Internal Auditor to develop and maintain annual plans that are aligned to business strategies. The role holder will also establish and maintain professional relationships with a wide range of stakeholders including the senior executives of business units across the delegated area, demonstrating political sensitivity and organisational awareness. This is a high profile position requiring interaction with all Management levels across the Group.
- Building trust and credibility with the business by demonstrating a professional approach to auditing and a sound knowledge of governance risk management and control and adding value to management who have considerable experience of their businesses;
- As a member of the IA Management team, responsible for planning, scheduling and executing risk based audits;
- Leading both locally based and widely dispersed audit teams in executing audit assignments, reviewing delegated audits and other reviews within agreed timescales, that will support the audit opinion in a manner that is consistent with Internal Audit’s standards, methodologies and processes;
- Coordinate, plan and lead audit teams in executing ICFOR testing, in line with regulatory timeframes.
- Driving the delivery of the audit agenda through the team, identifying the critical issues to the achievement delivery targets and consistently communicates them to Internal Audit Senior Leadership and the team;
- Contributing to the development of Internal Audit – locally and globally, being a leader or key contributor of IA projects;
- Preparation of high quality written reports on relevant governance, risk management and control issues and communicating these to Management, agreeing action plans and tracking such issues for resolution with agreed timelines.
The successful applicant must hold a relevant professional qualification (e.g. CMIIA, ACA, ACCA) and should possess the following skills and competencies:
- Hold a Management or Audit Lead position, or equivalent position in internal audit or a leading audit practice, leading multi-disciplined teams of professional auditors in the execution of risk-based audit work.
- Detailed knowledge and experience of internal audit standards and executing risk based internal audits to the highest standards.
- Ideally have significant experience of the financial services business.
- Strong understanding of governance, risk management and control issues facing the Life Assurance and Investment Management industries;
- High level of organisational ability and is highly proactive in monitoring successful delivery of objectives against relevant criteria.
- A strong blend of technical ability, judgement, and commercial awareness.
- Solid understanding of data analysis tools e.g. ACL, MS Excel, MS Access, etc.;
- Strong work ethic along with ownership for all deliverables;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, analytical thinking and intellectual curiosity;
- Highly motivated with strong commercial awareness;
- Strong planning skills and delivery focussed; and,
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Drive for Results
- Planning and Organising
- Problem Solving and Decision Making
- Team Working and Cross Functional Collaboration
- Communication and Influencing
- Building and Maintaining Relationships
The company reserves the right to draw up a shortlist as part of the selection process.
ILGL supports Equal Opportunity