Senior Investigator, MOD
Are you an experienced fraud practitioner?
Do you want to lead serious and complex investigations across a diverse range of subject matter areas?
Would you like to join the MOD Fraud Defence Team, based in London but operating across the UK, and reporting to the Head of Investigations? You will use your skills and experience to investigate fraud, corruption and unethical behaviour within, and against, the MOD.
The post offers a unique opportunity to deliver thorough and comprehensive investigations into allegations of misconduct, criminality or unethical behaviour by MOD employees, service personnel or contractors.
Fraud Defence is the central counter-fraud function for the MOD. It takes the strategic lead for fraud, corruption and other economic crime matters across Defence, it represents the MOD as the victim of fraud and drives the MOD’s coordinated response to fraud.
We are seeking highly motivated and talented individuals to support the development of our organisational maturity. The work is challenging, varied and extremely rewarding, providing an excellent insight into the workings of the MOD as a department of state. Collaboration is at the heart of how we work, and we work closely with a wide range of diverse stakeholders across MOD, UK Government, across Defence Industry and internationally.
This post is being advertised at 37 hours per week.
Reporting to a B2 / Grade 7 Investigation Manager you will:
- Plan, manage and deliver an allocated caseload of investigations into concerns raised via the MOD’s Confidential Hotline, including allegations of fraud, corruption and unethical behaviour;
- Investigate suspected fraud expeditiously using a variety of investigation techniques in accordance with legislation and codes of practice, and any appropriate MOD Policy, Rules and Guidance;
- Identify and pursue all relevant lines of enquiry;
- Engage with MOD managers and military officers to provide updates on investigations, and where appropriate, share lessons learned;
- Identify key witnesses and record statements;
- Liaise with whistleblowers, witnesses, subjects and stakeholders, as appropriate;
- Interview and record evidence from suspects in compliance with PACE and Departmental policy;
- Identify, secure and preserve evidence in physical, electronic, and documentary format to prove or disprove the allegations;
- Produce and review investigation reports and evidential material to appropriate standards for use at court or internal disciplinary procedures;
- Draft investigation reports with evidence based, objective decisions and recommendations for organisational change;
- Build long term relationships to enable collaboration with other investigatory bodies inside and outside MOD, as well as regulatory bodies when appropriate, to provide a joined-up approach to investigation;
- Maintain databases and investigation material in accordance with the appropriate standards;
- Conduct investigations and associated travel, including occasional overnight stays, in a manner which provides value for money;
- Manage and support the delivery of investigations by C2 / HEO Investigators and support their ongoing professional development.
As a member of the Fraud Defence team you will also have the opportunity to support the wider counter-fraud and corruption work at MOD, including supporting projects and programmes of work designed to continuously improve MOD’s counter fraud and corruption maturity.
The role involves managing our relationships with a range of stakeholders, which includes Military Defence Police, Service Police, Contractors and Senior Civil Servants across the spread of MOD.
Previous recent experience in undertaking and leading serious and complex investigations.
Fraud investigation carries significant responsibility and pressure and are likely to affect the rights of others. It is essential therefore that you are:
- Experienced in conducting fraud, corruption or ethics investigations, and preparing evidence to the appropriate standards;
- Understand general organisational finance, procurement and commercial controls and processes;
- Understand legislation and codes of practice that are applicable to fraud, corruption or ethics investigations;
- Able to demonstrate flexibility by working independently and as part of a team;
- Able to communicate well, both orally and in written form, to influence stakeholders;
- Strong proven drafting ability to produce investigation reports, submissions and briefings;
- Able to manage time and resources effectively to meet objectives;
- Experience of leading investigations and managing their successful delivery through others;
- Line Management experience within a counter fraud or investigation function;
- Able to evidence occupational competence as a Counter Fraud Practitioner.
- You should ensure that your personal statement demonstrates your experience and technical ability related to the job description and responsibilities of the post advertised.
A recognised investigation or counter fraud qualification is desirable.
We would be particularly interested to hear from applicants who can demonstrate practitioner level competency of the Government Counter Fraud Profession Investigation Competency Framework or equivalent standards.
- Access to learning and development tailored to your professional development;
- Free gym on site;
- A working environment that supports a range of flexible working options;
- A working culture which encourages inclusion and diversity;
- 25 days paid annual leave rising (1 per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years' service;
- A civil service pension.
The post does not offer relocation expenses (move of home, excess fares or temporary transfer).
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
Apply and further information
Once this job has closed, the job advert will no longer be available. You may want to save a copy for your records.
Contact point for applicants
Name: Paul Eagles
Apply before 11:55 pm on Friday 7th February 2020