Internal Auditor, Newcastle University
Newcastle University is seeking to recruit an experienced Internal Auditor. Internal Audit provides independent and objective assurance on the adequacy and effectiveness of the University’s governance, risk management and internal control arrangements.
You will be part of a small, dedicated Internal Audit team reporting to the Head of Internal Audit. You will undertake a range of professional-level audit assignments, covering the full range of the University’s activities. You will be required to plan and manage your time and tasks effectively.
You will need to demonstrate significant Internal Audit experience across a broad range of areas (operational and financial audits, IT, VFM and risk) and hold a relevant professional accounting or audit qualification (CCAB, CIIA).
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required, together with good IT and organisational skills.
Interviews will be held on 06 March 2020.
For further information, please contact Juliet Simpson, Head of Internal Audit on 0191 208 5189 or email@example.com
You will be part of a small, dedicated Internal Audit team reporting to the Head of Internal Audit. The main duties include:
- carrying out a range of audits in accordance with professional standards with minimum supervision. This involves obtaining an understanding of key processes and activities to identify risks, developing and executing tests of internal controls, suggesting recommendations for possible improvements to processes, procedures and controls, and drafting an audit report for agreement with the auditee;
- providing advice and guidance to colleagues on internal control;
- carrying out ad-hoc audits and special investigations (potential frauds, areas of management concern);
- occasional grant certification work;
- representation at miscellaneous meetings and to deputise for the Head of Internal Audit when required.
The Person (Essential)
Knowledge, Skills and Experience
- Significant, recent internal auditing experience in increasingly challenging roles across all areas of internal auditing: systems, risk, IT, contracts, VFM.
- Thorough understanding of the principles of risk management, internal control and internal audit practices.
- The ability to quickly understand policies and procedures and apply accounting and auditing principles.
- Good analytical skills and ability to draw conclusions from audit fieldwork, and make suggestions as to possible improvements to internal control.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to prepare draft reports and communicate clearly and concisely.
- Ability to plan and manage time and tasks effectively and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work on a small number of audit assignments simultaneously, usually independently but occasionally working together as a team.
- Well-developed IT skills (Microsoft Office, accounting systems, internal audit packages).
Attributes and Behaviour
- Confidence with dealing with auditees at all levels, new people, new situations.
- Personal motivation; self-drive, positive approach.
- Commitment to best practice and continuous professional development.
Professional internal auditing (CIIA) or accountancy qualification (CCAB)
For further information and to apply please visit our website: https://jobs.ncl.ac.uk/